Monday, November 12, 2012

Forrester, a Welcome to Bordertown Inspired Story


I'm dancing. I spin and I spin, I see Robin Hood in his hat. I see a Queen Elf in a beautiful white ball gown.

The music isn't just any kind of music. It's a cello, and a man with no emotion. But the music alone is his emotion. You can almost see the notes flying around all of us in the Dancing Ferret. All of us move to the sound.

When I spin back around, I see a man who looks out of place at the Good Faerie's ball. He's dressed in all black. The green lights decend upon him. He's looking at his phone, and his wand is glowing in his back pocket.

A favorite friend calls my name. I get distracted. I chat for a bit, but really my minds on him. I turn back around. He's gone. I only looked away for less than 30 seconds. How is this possible?

How?

Where did he go? I begin looking. I look, and I look, and then I see him. out by the Gazebo. Talking to himself.

When he sees me, he turns around. He smiles, but there's something still odd. I stood still. He walked toward me.

"My name is Forrester, the keeper of this land." He says, and he bows.

"My name is Cordelia, a daughter of water and the Lunar Harvest Moon." I say, my voice is stuttering.

"Do not be afraid. Come with me." He says.

I follow, and we walk into the Gazebo. The fairy lights are twinkling all around us, and then, in one moment they aren't.

We are soaring. Soaring through the night sky. He says, "Hold on tight."

I do. Finally, we land. but in an odder place.

He says, "Welcome to Bordertown."

"Where?"


"The in-between land of the fae and mortals." He explains. l am curious, so I listen to him more. He explains about how humans and all creatures end up here. That 13 years have gone by since the last time Humans were allowed back into Earth.

Cautiously, I follow him when he walks into a bar, called, "The Dancing Ferret."

Curious.

Then I remember. A hot summer ago. A book that I read. Called. "Welcome To Bordertown."


A place I've wanted to go. to get away. a place of safety.

"Careful now. It is a magical land, but we have our dangers too." Forrester says, reading my mind.

"Okay. But I'm ready to go in." We do.

and we dance for what seems like days to a band he says is "Faun."

I say without any worries of my future or my families, "Forrester. I think I could stay here forever."


And he says, "Welcome to Bordertown, My Lady." He bows, and takes my hand and slowly, together we dance until the moon sets outside of the magical Dancing Ferret.

-----------

The Dancing Ferret, and the Title Welcome To Bordertown belongs to the wonderful authors of the actual book which can be found in your local Barnes and Noble and library,My insperation of this story specifically to Ellen Kushner and the series creator, Terri Windling who I was able to spend time with.

Also the name of the band, Faun, is a real live band with amazing musical skills from Germany.

If the authors of Welcome to Bordertown get a change to read this, It would be amazing! and I'm so thankful for them!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment